Friday, July 13, 2007

Eastern Black Swallowtail






I love catching bugs! I have had good success finding caterpillars. I love to watch them make their cocoon, and then emerge as butterflies. I have already one this summer. I caught a caterpillar and wasn't sure what kind it was. I thought it was a swallowtail. I was hoping that it was because, I have never had a swallowtail in captivity. I set up a habitat for it in an old butter bowl and just watched it. Sure enough it made a cocoon a few days later. It was in the cocoon for about 12 days. It emerged one morning while it was down pouring rain. We sat on the front porch and watched it emerge. Pretty soon I had the most beautiful Eastern Black Swallowtail butterfly. Eventually he flew away right in the middle of a big downpour. He seemed to do fine. He sure was beautiful!