Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Polyphemus Moth





About a month ago my friend Seth caught this green caterpillar for me. It was bright green and really fat. I brought it home and looked it up in my insect guide. I thought it was a polyphemus caterpillar, but I wasn't quite sure. Well about threee days later it spun this really neat cocoon that looked liked spun thread. It was in that stage for about two weeks. I thought it had died actually because I had never had a caterpillar like this before. One day I thought I heard something moving inside the cocoon, so I took it outside to see if it would emerge. I went and checked on it later that evening and the cocoon was empty and there was this huge moth sitting next to it. I called everybody to come and see. We looked it up in the book again, and I was right, it was a polyphemus caterpillar. Now it was a polyphemus moth. It looked so different from the caterpillar. My mom took some great pictures of the moth!